Delicate Pumpkin Praline Danish
- 8 ounces cream cheese, at room temperature
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 2 extra-large egg yolks, at room temperature
- 2 tablespoons ricotta cheese
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 tablespoon grated lemon zest (1 lemon)
- 2 sheets (1 box) frozen puff pastry, defrosted
- 1 egg beaten with 1 tablespoon water, for egg wash
- 1/2 cup confectioners’ sugar
- 1/2 tablespoon milk
- 1/2 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon pumpkin puree
- pinch of cinnamon
- topping: chopped pecans
- preheat the oven to 400 degrees and line a sheet pan with parchment paper.
- to make the danish, place the cream cheese and sugar in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with a paddle attachment and cream them together on low speed until smooth. with the mixer still on low, add the egg yolks, ricotta, vanilla, salt, and lemon zest and mix until just combined. don't whip!
- unfold 1 sheet of puff pastry onto a lightly floured board and cut the sheet into quarters with a sharp knife. place a heaping tablespoon of cheese filling into the middle of each of the 4 squares. pinch the 4 corners together and brush the top of the pastries with beaten egg white. place the pastries on the prepared sheet pan.
- repeat with the second sheet of puff pastry and refrigerate the filled danish for 15 minutes.
- bake the pastries for about 20 minutes until golden brown.
- to make the glaze, combine confectioners’ sugar, milk, brown sugar, vanilla, pumpkin, cinnamon and butter. whisk until smooth. if the glaze is too thin, add more confectioners’ sugar as needed. zigzag the drizzle on the danishes and top with chopped pecans. serve immediately.