DARK CHOCOLATE CAKE WITH GINGERBREAD FROSTING
Author: The Country Cook
- For the cake
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups sugar
- ¾ cup dark chocolate baking cocoa
- 2 tsp. baking soda
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. salt
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup canola oil
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup brewed Folger's coffee, cooled
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- For the frosting:
- 1 cup butter, softened to room temp.
- 1 (7.5 oz.) jar marshmallow fluff
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 2 tbsp. molasses
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- 1 tsp. nutmeg
- 1 tsp. ground cloves
- ½ tsp. ginger
- The first thing I do is brew my coffee so it has time to cool before I need it.
- It's important to cool the coffee so it doesn't cook the eggs when we combine the two.
- Preheat oven to 350f degrees.
- Spray a 9 x 13 baking dish with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, combine all the dry ingredients (flour, sugar, cocoa, baking soda, baking powder and salt.)
- Gently whisk to combine.
- In a separate bowl combine all the wet ingredients (eggs, oil, milk, cooled coffee & vanilla extract.)
- Then slowly add in dry ingredients to wet ingredients.
- Add a little at a time, mix, then add a little more until it is all incorporated.
- Once combined, pour cake batter into prepared baking dish.
- Bake for about 30-40 minutes until a toothpick comes out clean from the center.
- The cake should also spring back to the touch and not jiggle in the center.
- Allow cake to cool completely, then start on frosting.
- In a medium bowl, using an electric mixer or your stand mixer, mix butter until smooth.
- Then mix in marshmallow fluff.
- Next, stir in molasses.
- Finally, mix in powdered sugar and spices.
- Mix until smooth and creamy.
- Spread onto cooled cake.
If you aren't in the mood to make a cake from scratch, you can just use a dark chocolate boxed cake mix and instead of the water it calls for, just substitute it with brewed coffee.
This is a sponsored conversation written by me on behalf of TASTE OF HOME. The opinions and text are all mine.