Croque Madame McMuffins
- 1 1/2 tbsps unsalted butter
- 1 1/2 tbsps all-purpose flour
- 1 cup milk
- 8 oz. Gruyère, grated
- 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese, finely grated
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Pinch freshly grated nutmeg
- 4 english muffins, cut in half and toasted
- 4 tbsps Dijon mustard
- 8 slices baked black forrest ham
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 4 large eggs
- Heat butter in a medium-sized saucepan over medium-high heat. Cook until JUST brown and nutty smelling, then add flour and cook, whisking constantly, until smooth; about 30 seconds. Whisk in milk, bring to a boil, then reduce heat to medium-low and simmer until slightly thickened; about 5-6 minutes. Add 1/4 cup of the grated Gruyère and all of the Parmesan, and whisk until smooth. Season with salt, pepper, and nutmeg.
- Preheat oven to broil setting. Place english muffins - cut side up - on a parchment paper-lined baking sheet, and spread 1/2 tbsp. mustard over each piece. Top 4 of the halves with 2 slices ham and remaining Gruyère. Place under the broiler until the cheese begins to melt; about 1–2 minutes.
- Top with remaining muffin slices, then pour a generous amount of béchamel on top of each mcmuffin. Broil until cheese sauce is bubbling and evenly browned; about 4 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cook your eggs! Heat olive oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add eggs, season with salt and pepper, and cook until whites are firm but yolks are still runny; about 3 minutes. Place an egg on top of each sandwich, and serve right away!!!