Crispy Duck Confit Tacos with Grapefruit Plum Salsa
Makes 8-10 tacos
- 4 duck legs with thighs attached (about two pounds)
- 1 tablespoon plus 1/4 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 8 garlic cloves, peeled
- 4 bay leaves
- 8-12 sprigs fresh thyme
- 2 teaspoons whole black peppercorns
- 4 cups olive oil
- Vegetable oil, for frying
- 8-10 Corn Tortillas
- Grapefruit Plum Salsa (recipe follows)
- 2 cups iceberg lettuce, shredded
- Mexican crema, cotija cheese, to garnish, optional
In a shallow baking dish, arrange duck legs in a single layer, skin side down. Sprinkle with one tablespoon of the Kosher salt and black pepper.
On two of the portions of duck, divide garlic cloves, bay leaves, and thyme.
Stack remaining two pieces of duck on top, flesh side down, so that you have two stacks of two duck legs each, with the seasonings and herbs sandwiched between them. Sprinkle with remaining 1/4 teaspoon of Kosher salt, cover, and place in refrigerator for at least 12 hours or overnight.
Preheat oven to 200 degrees. Remove duck from refrigerator, and remove garlic, bay leaves, and thyme to the bottom of a large Dutch oven. Add whole peppercorns.
Lightly rinse duck legs under cool water to remove excess salt, and add to Dutch oven in a single layer on top of herbs, skin side down.
Add olive oil, cover, and bake until meat is very tender, about 12-14 hours.
Using tongs, remove duck from oil and let cool slightly.
Remove skin and bones (bones should pull out very easily), and shred duck meat using fingertips. When oil cools completely, strain through coffee filters and reserve, refrigerated, for later use.
In a shallow frying pan, heat vegetable oil until just before the smoking point. Working quickly in batches, use tongs to fry and shape tortillas into taco shell shapes, and drain on paper towels.
To assemble tacos: Add 1-2 tablespoons of shredded duck meat to taco shell. Add shredded lettuce, salsa, and optionally, cotija cheese and Mexican crema.
Grapefruit Plum Salsa
Makes about two cups
- 1/2 large “Ruby Red” grapefruit, peeled and diced
- 2 plums, pitted and diced
- 1 avocado, peeled, pitted, and diced
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and minced
- 1 Fresno pepper, seeded and minced
- 2 tablespoons cilantro, chopped
- 1 tablespoon grapefruit zest
- 1 tablespoon honey
Combine all ingredients in a large bowl. Toss gently until combined, cover and chill at least 2 hours before serving.