CORNBREAD WAFFLE BLT'S WITH GARLIC AIOLI
Cornbread Waffle BLT's with Garlic Aioli are crispy and sweet cornbread waffles, layered with smoky bacon, fresh lettuce, creamy avocado and garlic aioli for a delicious twist on the classic BLT!/i]
- 1 egg
- 1 Tbsp butter, melted
- 1¼ cups unsweetened plain almond milk*
- ½ cup greek yogurt
- ¾ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- 1½ tsp baking powder
- ¾ cup yellow cornmeal
- ½ cup all purpose flour (I used Bob's Red Mill Gluten Free Flour)
- Remaining Ingredients:
- 8 slices bacon
- 4 leaves romaine lettuce, trimmed
- 1 large roma tomato, thinly sliced
- 1 avocado, thinly sliced
- 1 can (14.5) Red Gold Garlic & Olive Oil Tomatoes, drained
- ½ cup plain greek yogurt
- Preheat oven to 400* F.
- Add egg, greek yogurt, salt, pepper, baking powder, melted butter and whisk until well combined. Add almond milk and whisk once more.
- Next add flour and cornmeal and stir until just combined. Let batter rest for 5 minutes while you preheat your waffle iron.
- Generously spray waffle iron with non-stick pray and pour heaping ½ cup measurements onto the griddle. Close and cook according to manufacturer instructions.
- While waffles cook, lay bacon on cooking rack that has been sprayed with cooking spray. Lay over baking sheet. Place bacon on cooking rack, evenly spaced and place in oven. Cook for 15 to 20 minutes, or until bacon is golden brown. Remove from oven and let cool.
- To make the aioli, combine the drained tomatoes with the greek yogurt. Stir until combined.
- When ready to serve, spread aioli on 4 of the waffles. Top with bacon, tomatoes, lettuce, avocado and top with another waffle. Serve!
*Waffle recipe slightly modified from Minimalist Baker