Michelle De La Cerda
CHICKEN PORCINI ORECCHIETTE
- 1 ounce dried porcini mushrooms (2 pkgs)
- 1-14.5 oz. can chicken broth
- 3 tbsp. unsalted butter; divided 2:1
- 1/2 cup onion; finely diced
- 1 tsp. dried thyme
- 1 1/2 lb. chicken thighs; cubed
- 12 oz orecchiette pasta
- 1/8 tsp salt and pepper; to taste
- 2 1/2 cups water
- 3 tbsp. fresh parsley
- 1/2 cup Romano cheese
- Place mushrooms in a medium bowl; add 2 cups warm chicken broth-or place the mushrooms and broth in a saucepan and heat on low heat.
- Let soak until softened, about 30 minutes.
- Drain in a fine mesh sieve lined with a paper towel or coffee filter, reserving the liquid.
- Squeeze mushrooms to remove excess liquid and any clinging grit.
- Roughly chop the mushrooms and set aside.
- Melt 2 tbsp butter in a skillet over medium heat.
- Add the onion; cook until softened about 3-5 minutes.
- Add the thyme, stir well.
- Add the chicken, salt, and pepper. Cook about 3 minutes until the chicken has turned white and is no longer pink.
- Add pasta, porcini, salt, pepper, reserved mushroom liquid, and water.
- Bring to a low boil; reduce heat, and simmer, stirring often, until pasta has absorbed most of the liquid and is creamy, about 11 minutes.
- Add remaining tbsp of butter.
- Stir in Romano and fresh parsley, taste for seasoning and add any additional salt and pepper if needed.