From: Chew Out Loud
Recipe type: dinner, main
- For the Chicken:
- 4 skinless chicken breast fillets
- kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 5 TB olive oil, divided
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- For the Sauce:
- 2 TB olive oil
- 8 oz fresh white mushrooms, sliced
- 3 cups madeira wine (almost a full bottle)
- 4 cloves minced garlic
- 2 cups beef broth
- 2 TB cornstarch dissolved in 2 TB of the beef broth
- 1 TB salted butter
- ¼ tsp freshly ground black pepper
- Flatten chicken breasts to an even ¼-inch thickness throughout. Lightly sprinkle both sides of each chicken breast with kosher salt and black pepper. In a large skillet, heat 3 TB olive oil over medium heat until hot. Place chicken breasts in skillet, without overcrowding (if needed, cook them in two separate batches.) Cook 3-4 minutes per side, until nicely browned on both sides and no longer pink in center. Transfer cooked chicken to a baking pan and cover to keep warm.
- In the same skillet (don't wash out the skillet) add 2 TB olive oil over medium heat until oil is hot. Add mushrooms and stir 1-2 min. Add the remaining sauce ingredients. Stir and bring sauce to a boil. Immediately reduce heat to a simmer. Simmer 20 minutes or until sauce is reduced by one-fourth of its original volume. Finished sauce will be dark brown and thickened. Transfer sauce to a container and keep warm.
- Sprinkle mozzarella cheese evenly on top of chicken breasts on baking pan. Broil 3-4 minutes or until cheese is golden and melted.
- Serve chicken immediately, generously drizzled with Madeira sauce. Extra sauce is delicious over mashed potatoes, angel hair pasta, or fluffy rice.