CHICKEN GYROS WITH HOMEMADE TZATZIKI SAUCE
3 hours 15 mins
3 hours 25 mins
Chicken Gyros with Homemade Tzatziki Sauce features juicy marinated chicken, a slathering of fresh homemade tzatziki sauce, as well as crisp onions and tomatoes wrapped in a warm pita.
Author: Fox Valley Foodie
Recipe type: Sandwich
Serves: 6 servings
- 3lbs chicken thighs skin and bones removed (buy 2lbs of thigh meat already deboned if you can find them)
- 3 tbsp Greek yogurt
- 3 tbsp lemon juice
- 3 tsp white wine vinegar
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1½ tbsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp salt
- Black pepper
- ⅓ cup minced cucumber after squeezing out juice (1 cucumber needed)
- 1 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 1 tsp white wine vinegar (or red wine or apple cider vinegar)
- ½ tbsp lemon juice
- ½ tbsp extra virgin olive oil (or more if you want richer)
- ½ tsp salt
- Black pepper
- 3 tomatoes, sliced
- ½ red onion, thinly sliced (or substitute my pickled red onion recipe)
- ¼ cup fresh parsley leaves
- 6 pita breads
- Add all ingredients for the marinade into a bowl and whisk to combine.
- Place chicken thigh meat into a gallon ziplock bag and pour in marinade. Squeeze out air and seal.
- Let marinate for 3-12 hours.
- While chicken is marinating, mince cucumber into fine pieces, wrap in paper towel and squeeze out juice.
- Measure ⅓ cup of cucumber and add to bowl with remaining tzatziki ingredients. Whisk to combine and let sit for at least 20 minutes, to allow flavors to meld.
- Place chicken on a grill, or stove top, season with salt and pepper, and cook until meat reaches 165 degrees, flipping once.
- Remove and let rest for 5 minutes.
- Warm pita bread in separate pan, or in the oven. Pita should be warmed through, but not overly crispy or blackened.
- Cut chicken meat if needed.
- Add chicken pieces to one side of the pita, top with sliced onion, tomatoes, and parsley. Drizzle tzatziki sauce over the vegetables and fold close.
I like the meat from chicken thighs for this recipe because it is more flavorful and the meat doesn't dry out as easily, however 2 lbs of skinless chicken breasts will be a fine substitution.