Cheesy Corn Cakes with Spicy Avocado Salsa
Author: Alida Ryder
- 2 cups corn
- 1x 400g tin creamed corn
- 2 eggs
- 1½ cups grated mature cheddar
- ½ tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp salt
- 1½ cups flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ½ cup milk
for the spicy avocado salsa
- 2 avocados, chopped
- 1 small red onion, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 red chilli, finely chopped (remove seeds if you don't like it hot)
- juice of ½ lemon
- salt & pepper to taste
- fresh coriander, to serve
- In a large bowl, combine the corn kernels, creamed corn, eggs, cheddar, smoked paprika and salt and mix well.
- Sift in the flour and baking powder and mix well.
- Slowly stir in the milk until the batter is not too thick and drops off a spoon easily. (it should also not be so thin that it spreads too much when you fry the cakes)
- Heat a large frying pan and add some oil.
- Fry spoonfuls of the batter until bubbles appear at the top and flip. Allow to cook on the other side. Remove from the pan once cooked and place on some kitchen paper to drain.
- In the meantime, combine all the ingredients for the salsa and mix well.
- When all the cakes have been cooked, serve them with the salsa, extra lemon wedges and fresh coriander.