Recipe – make 4 – 6 toasted sandwiches
- 500g sliced pears (bout 4 ripe pears)
- 30g butter
- 70g demarara or dark brown sugar
- 8 – 12 slices raisin bread or brioche
- 50g butter, melted for brushing
- 100g – 150g (approx. 25g per sandwich) – Gorgonzola (or similar creamy blue cheese)
Melt the butter in a non-stick frying pan and toss in the pears to coat. Sprinkle the sugar over and allow this to bubble for 3 – 5 minutes (depending on how ripe the pears are), shaking the pan ever now and again.
When the pears have started to soften and a caramel has formed, take them off the heat and allow to cool in the pan.
To make the sandwiches heat the Breville toasted sandwich maker and lightly spray the surface with cooking spray. Assemble the sandwiches by topping a slice of bread with pears and crumbling the blue cheese. Close with another slice of bread, and then brush each side with melted butter.
Place these in the toaster and seal. Allow to toast until golden brown.