Caramelized Onion Whipped Sweet Potatoes (vegan)
- 2 cups coconut milk
- 2 pounds sweet potatoes, peeled and chopped into bite size pieces
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons vegan butter
- 1 yellow onion, thinly sliced
- 3 tablespoons dry sherry
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- ¾ cup coconut milk
- 5 tablespoons vegan butter, cut into large chunks
- kosher salt
- Additional vegan butter and parsley for garnish if desired.
- In a large pot, add the coconut milk, sweet potatoes, garlic and kosher salt. Bring to a simmer over medium heat. Reduce heat to low and put a lid on the pot. Simmer on lowest heat for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a medium heavy pan melt the vegan butter and add the onions. Sprinkle with salt and let sweat for 12-15 minutes. Add the sherry, scraping all of the browned bits from the bottom of the pan and stirring while cooking for another 5 minutes until the pan is dry. Add the vinegar and the sugar and cook, stirring, for another 5 minutes.
- When the potatoes are done, the liquid will be almost completely absorbed into the potatoes.
- Transfer the potatoes to the bowl of a mixer and add the vegan butter and coconut milk. Whisk until light and fluffy. Season to taste with kosher salt. Fold the caramelized onions into the potatoes. Garnish with more vegan butter and parsley if desired.
Preparation time: 15 minute(s)
Cooking time: 30 minute(s)
Number of servings (yield): 6