Caramelized Onion Pesto Flatbread
Yield: 4-8 servings
Caramelized Onion & Pesto Flatbread – this EASY 4 ingredient pizza recipe is the perfect appetizer. Pesto, caramelized onions, and mozzarella baked onto a pizza crust – every time I make this people rave about it!
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 1 teaspoon granulated sugar
- 1 tube pizza crust (such as Pillsbury)
- 1/2 cup prepared pesto
- 1 1/2 cups mozzarella cheese
- Heat a 10-12” skillet over medium heat and add the oil. Swirl around the pan, then add the sliced onions. Sprinkle the onions with the sugar and toss to coat. Cover and cook 5-10 minutes over medium low, stirring often, until they start to brown, then remove the cover and continue cooking an additional 3-7 minutes, stirring often, until the onions are soft and caramel in color. Remove from pan and set aside to cool.
- Preheat oven to 450°F. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper. Unroll pizza crust. You can also use a prepared pizza crust (homemade or store-bought), one that makes one 12” pizza, but make it into a rectangle or an oblong rectangle.
- Spread the pesto over the top of the pizza crust. Sprinkle with cheese and spread the cooled caramelized onions over the top.
- Bake for 8-10 minutes, or until the bottom and edges are browned and the cheese is melted and bubbly. Slice and serve warm.