Caprese empanadas filled with mozzarella cheese, tomatoes, and basil. Served with a basil garlic dipping sauce.
- Mix the grated mozzarella, chopped tomatoes, and basil in a bowl.
- To assemble the empanadas, place a spoonful or two of the cheese mixture on the middle of each empanada disc.
- Fold the empanada discs and seal the edges. You can either use a fork to help seal the empanadas, or use your fingers to twist and curl the edges creating a churito or curl type seal. You can also use an empanada mold to seal the empanadas.
- If you have time, for best results, especially since these empanadas contain cheese, chill the empanadas for at least 30 minutes before baking, this will help them seal better and prevent leaks.
- Before baking, brush the top of the empanadas with the egg yolk; this will give a nice golden glow when they bake.
- Bake in a pre-heated oven at 400F for 18-20 minutes or until golden.
- Serve the caprese empanadas with your choice of dipping sauce.
These caprese empanadas can also be fried - they will be less likely to leak out the cheese filling if they are fried. To fry them you can use a deep fryer or a basic frying pan, make sure to have enough oil to cover at least half the empanada if using a pan. Heat the oil and fry each empanada until they are golden on each side. Place them on paper towels to remove any excess oil.