Beggars Purses with Goat Cheese and Cranberries
Prep time: 15 minutes
Assembly time: 15-30 minutes
Cooking time: 15 minutes (longest time=getting the water to boil)
4 oz soft goat cheese
1 tsp chopped chives
1 tsp grated lemon zest
¼ cup dried cranberries (dried cherries or blueberries would be delicious too)
1 stick unsalted butter
3 sheets phyllo dough
Directions: For filling:
1. Mix the filling ingredients in a small bowl and set aside.
To make the purses:
2. Melt the butter in a small saucepan or microwave and set aside.
3. Working on a flat surface, brush a sheet of phyllo with butter. Top with another sheet and brush with butter. Add the last sheet and brush with butter. These 3 layers will become the wrapping. Cover the rest of the phyllo so the dough won’t dry out.
4. Cut the buttered and layered dough into 3”x3” squares. Place 2 tsp of filling in the center of each square and pull the edges up to form a purse. Place them on a lined baking sheet with parchment paper. These can be prepared ahead of time.
5. Place the cookie sheet with beggar’s purses into a 400°F oven and bake until golden (8 minutes if fresh, 15 minutes if frozen).