APPLE GOUDA STUFFED CHICKEN BREASTS WITH SMOKY ROASTED SWEET POTATOES
yield: 4 SERVINGS
prep time: 15 MINUTES
cook time: 30 MINUTES
total time: 45 MINUTES
Creamy Gouda cheese and sweet apples make these stuffed chicken breasts a winner! Pair with smoky roasted sweet potatoes for a sheet pan supper that will make everyone happy.
- 2 large boneless, skinless chicken breasts (mine were 10 ounces each - shoot for 4-6 ounces per serving)
- 1.5 ounces gouda cheese, thinly sliced
- 1/2 large apple, thinly sliced (I used Honeycrisp - any firm apple will work)
- 1 teaspoon olive oil for chicken
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme, more as desired for garnish
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 fresh ground pepper
For Sweet Potatoes:
- 2 large sweet potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Spray a large baking dish or sheet pan with nonstick cooking spray. Split each chicken breast across but not through and open like a book (be careful, you can easily cut yourself doing this!). This is also known as butterflying. On one side of the chicken, lay out 7-8 thin apple slices followed by 4-5 slices of cheese. Sprinkle with 1/2 teaspoon fresh thyme. Fold over and drizzle with 1/2 teaspoon olive oil. Sprinkle with 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper.
- Place the chicken breast on sheet pan and top with another sprig of fresh thyme if desired.
- In a bowl, mix diced sweet potatoes with olive oil, smoked paprika, 1 teaspoon thyme leaves and sea salt until evenly coated. Arrange sweet potatoes in a single layer around chicken breasts.
- Bake for 20 minutes and then stir sweet potatoes.
- Continue to bake until the juices run clear from chicken and internal temperature of chicken registers at 165 degrees, about 10 additional minutes. Sweet potatoes should be fork tender.