Dripping with honey and sprinkled with fresh thyme, cracked pepper and sea salt, these warm, crunchy toasts make a delicious breakfast, after-school treat or lunch when matched with a handful of salad greens. It’s amazing how something so simple, and a tad messy, can be so unbelievably good.
- 4 slices whole-grain bread, each about 2 1/2 by 5 inches, lightly
- 3 oz. fresh goat cheese, at room temperature
- 1/4 cup coarsely chopped walnuts
- 1 tsp. roasted walnut oil
- Sea salt and freshly cracked pepper, to taste
- Honey for drizzling
- 1/2 tsp. fresh thyme leaves
Preheat an oven or toaster oven to 375°F.
Arrange the toasts on a small rimmed baking sheet. Spread the toast slices evenly with the goat cheese and sprinkle with the walnuts, dividing them evenly. Drizzle 1/4 tsp. of the walnut oil over each toast. Bake until the walnuts are toasted and the cheese is warm, about 5 minutes.
Transfer the toasts to plates and season with salt and pepper. Drizzle each toast with honey, then sprinkle with the thyme leaves and serve immediately. Serves 2 to 4.