CHOCOLATE PEPPERMINT GANACHE PIE
yield: 10 SERVINGS
This super rich pie has an Oreo crust and is filled with peppermint flavored ganache!
FOR THE CRUST:
- 22 Oreos, finely crushed
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter, melted
FOR THE PIE:
- 12 ounces (about 1 package) semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 3/4 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/4 cup peppermint flavored coffee creamer (such as Peppermint Chocolate Truffle International Delight), see note
- 2-3 candy canes, crushed, for garnish
- Make the crust: mix crushed Oreos and butter in a medium sized bowl using a fork. Press into the bottom and up the sides of a 9” pie plate. (You can use as small as an 8” but don’t go bigger than a 9” or you will need more filling.) Chill for at least 30 minutes before filling.
- When ready to fill the pie, heat the heavy whipping cream and creamer in a microwave safe bowl or measuring cup until it’s very hot, just before simmering. (About 90 seconds on high in my microwave.) Place chocolate chips in a medium sized bowl and pour hot cream over the top. Let it sit for 30 seconds, then whisk until smooth and thick. (If all of the chocolate chips do not want to melt, you can heat it in the microwave in 15 second increments, whisking between each, until melted and smooth.)
- Pour ganache into prepared crust. Chill until set, a few hours. Before serving, sprinkle with the crushed candy canes. The pie is best served after sitting at room temperature for about 10 minutes, so it’s easier to cut. The candy canes may dissolve a little on the pie after it's refrigerated but it won't ruin the look of the pie.
You can substitute 1 cup of heavy whipping cream for the 3/4 hwc + 1/4 cup coffee creamer and add 1/4-1/2 teaspoon of peppermint extract after the chocolate is melted and smooth. Add extract to taste.