CHICKEN TORTILLA SOUP
A quick and easy, no-fuss chicken tortilla soup with so many amazing flavors!
- 1/2 cup elbows pasta
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 onion, diced
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 1 (28-ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 1 (4-ounce) can green chiles
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano
- Pinch of cayenne pepper
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 2 cups shredded chicken breast
- 1 cup roasted corn kernels
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro leaves
- Juice of 1 lime
- 1 avocado, halved, seeded, peeled and diced, for serving
- Tortilla strips, for serving
- In a large pot of boiling salted water, cook pasta according to package instructions; drain well.
- Heat olive oil in a large stockpot or Dutch oven over medium heat. Add garlic and onion, and cook, stirring frequently, until onions have become translucent, about 2-3 minutes. Stir in chicken stock, crushed tomatoes, green chiles, chili powder, cumin, oregano and cayenne pepper; season with salt and pepper, to taste.
- Reduce heat to low; simmer, covered, until thickened, about 15 minutes. Stir in pasta, chicken, corn, cilantro and lime juice until heated through, about 2 minutes.
- Serve immediately, garnished with avocado and tortilla strips, if desired.