1.5kg beef short ribs
4 red onions, quartered
2 tsp smoked paprika
2 tsp NoMU One-for-all rub
2 tsp salt
1 tsp pepper
1-1.5l beef stock (I used NoMU’s Beef fond)
for the ‘quick-pickled’ red onions
3 red onions, thinly sliced
1/2 cup white spirit vinegar
1 tbsp sugar
2 tsp salt
fresh chillies and coriander
- Pre-heat the oven to 180°c.
- Place the short ribs and onions in a large oven-proof dish and season with the paprika, NoMU rub, salt and pepper and pour over the stock. The ribs need to be just covered with the stock.
- Cover with foil/a lid and place in the oven. Allow to braise for 3-4 hours until the meat falls off of the bone.
- When the beef is cooked, remove from the oven and remove the short ribs from the braising liquid. Reserve 2 cups of the braising liquid and discard the rest.
- Place the reserved liquid in a small saucepan over medium heat and allow to reduce for 10 minutes.
- Allow the ribs to cool a little before removing the meat from the bones. I also remove the very fatty/chewy pieces as this isn’t pleasant to eat.
- Mix the short rib meat with the reduced liquid and set aside.
- To make the ‘quick-pickled’ red onions, heat the vinegar, sugar and salt in a microwave-safe container for 2 minutes and stir to ensure the sugar has dissolved.
- Pour the hot vinegar over the sliced onions and allow to sit for 10 minutes.
- To serve the tacos, spread some sour cream on a soft taco, place a few spoonfuls of the short ribs followed by guacamole, red onions and finish with fresh chillies and coriander.
- Serve immediately.