Chipotle Mahi Mahi Burrito Bowls with Coconut Cilantro Lime Rice + Spicy Strawberry-Mango Salsa.
1 pound wild-caught, skin on, Mahi Mahi
4 tablespoons olive oil
2 whole chipotle chiles, finely minced
2 cloves garlic, minced or grated
1 tablespoon smoked paprika
1 teaspoon chili powder
1 teaspoon cumin
1/2 teaspoon salt + pepper
1/4 teaspoon onion powder
a pinch of salt and pepper
Cilantro Lime Rice
1 1/2 cup uncooked jasmine or basmati rice
1 cup light, canned coconut milk
2 cups coconut water (or water)
2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
1 lime, juiced
1/2 teaspoon salt
3 tablespoons unsweetened, flaked coconut
1 tablespoon coconut oil
Spicy Strawberry Salsa
1 medium size ripe mango, peeled, pitted + diced
1 1/2 cups strawberries, chopped
1/4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
1 jalapeño, seeded + chopped
1 lime, juiced
pinch of cayenne pepper
pinch of salt
4 cups shredded lettuce
1 1/4 cups cooked black beans
2 ears of corn on the cob grilled corn
, kernels removed from ears
1 cup guacamole
greek yogurt or sour cream
shredded cheddar + crumbled cajita cheese
- In a medium bowl combine the olive oil, chipotle chiles, garlic, smoked paprika, chili powder, cumin, salt, pepper and onion powder. Whisk to combine. Add the mahi mahi and toss well. Cover and place in the fridge while you start the rice.
- Add the coconut milk and coconut water to a medium size pot. Bring to a low boil and then add the rice, salt, unsweetened coconut and coconut oil. Stir to combine, then place the lid on the pot and turn the heat down to the lowest setting possible. Allow the rice to cook ten minutes on low and then turn the heat off completely. Let the rice sit on the stove, covered for another 20 minutes (don't take any peeks inside!). After 20 minutes remove the lid and fluff the rice with a fork. Add the cilantro and lime juice, toss well. Keep warm.
- Meanwhile make the salsa. Add the diced mango, chopped strawberries, cilantro, jalapeño, lime juice, pinch of cayenne and a pinch of salt to a medium bowl. Toss well, cover and keep in the fridge until ready to serve.
- Preheat the grill to medium-high heat.
- Once the grill is hot, add the mahi mahi, skin side facing up. Cook about 4-5 minutes and then flip and cook another 4-5 minutes or until crisp and mostly cooked through. Remove from the grill. Remove the skin and either flake with a fork or chop into chunks. This can also be done in a skillet if desired.
- To assemble the bowls divide the rice among 4 tortilla bowls or regular bowls. Add the lettuce, black beans and corn. Divvy up the fish and then top each bowl with salsa, cheese, and a dollop of greek yogurt or sour cream. Eat!